Oculus Go vs Samsung Gear VR
In the global VR ecosystem, companies like Samsung, Facebook, Google, Lenovo, Sony, Microsoft and Xiaomi are in competition for a $3.6 billion market. VR technologies are emerging very fast and each day we have new portable solutions. Instead of VR headsets that require a PC and a cable to connect, we are seeing the Mobile VR devices as an option that offers us far better accessibility.
The 2 most popular Mobile VR solutions that the current worldwide market offers are Oculus Go and Samsung Gear VR. You may have a look at our 360 VR Showreel in order to see the different projects Codemodeon did in the 360 Video and 3D Video Animation category.
Both of the devices can be used with a remote control (a specific device for each one). Because there is no depth tracking, the remote plays the role of a keyboard or a mouse in a 2 dimensional space. This is the reason that movement in the virtual world by using the remote control is restricted. This problem is overpassed with Oculus Quest, a new device Facebook released on May 21st 2019.
Oculus Go Pros
- It has a max frame-rate of 72FPS which means a smooth video (Gear VR supports max 60FPS).
- It supports 3D spacial audio with its integrated speakers.
- Yekpare metal yüzey ile daha başarılı ekran ve işlemci soğutması ile ısınmaya bağlı performans kaybı ve terleme gibi sorunları minimize etmesi sayesinde uzun süreli kullanımlar için daha uygun.
- It can be used up to 2.5 hours with a full charge.
- It has an all in one hardware which means it is practical (Gear VR requires a Samsung smartphone to work with).
- It includes a remote control within its standard price (The remote control for Gear VR is sold separately with an additional price).
- It is very easy to fit on the user’s head.
- It is lightweight and has easy to use head straps.
- Simplistic and elegant outer design.
- The metal and cloth materials are very solid and compact.
Oculus Go Cons
- It requires about 3 hours of charging with a USB cable connected to a computer (Using a power adapter is faster, although the charging power adapter is not included in the box).
- It supports only Wi-Fi internet connection.
- It has just 2 limited options for storage capacity (32GB or 64GB version).
Gear VR Pros
- Because it uses a smartphone as a processing unit, you may use the phone network as a data internet provider (not limited to just Wi-Fi).
- You may chose the hardware and upgrade it when you want. You may chose among different smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S6,S7,S8, etc.
- With the new smartphones Samsung Galaxy S and Note it is possible to achieve high performance in the apps.
- It is possible to increase the internal storage by using an SD Card.
- The phones used as a processing unit get a full charge in 90 minutes.
Gear VR Cons
- If used for long time the smartphone warms up and this drastically affects the performance.
- Using an earphone for the VR experience makes it less comfortable.
- There is no remote control in the standard box. The remote is sold separately.
- Because it needs a smartphone to work with, its hardware cost is quite expensive.
- There are different versions of Gear VR that work with different Samsung phones. This creates a confusion when thinking which phone supports which Gear VR version.
Co-Founder & COO